WELCOMEMass TimesNewsletterEvents CalendarUlotka InformacyjnaParish Advisory CouncilParish HistoryParish HallChurch OrganSpare pageSchoolsLiturgical GroupsReaders' RotaPastoral GroupsCatechistsWish to know more about the Catholic Faith?MarriageContact UsLinks

St.Mary's without the Bell Tower
St.Mary's without the Bell Tower

 
 
St. Mary's Church was designed, in Romanesque style,
by the well known architect F.A. Walters.
The builder was W.T. Morgan and the first stage was to build
the Sanctuary, Nave and one third of the north side of the church.
 
 
1907
Foundation Stone was laid by Bishop Hedley on 20th January.
It was decided by the then Abbot to build the whole of the north side, the baptistery
and to lay the foundation for the tower.
The High Altar was consecrated on 30th October and the Church was opened on 3rd November.

1914
The work on the south side aisle, confessionals and sacristies began in February and completed on 12th July.
Work also began on the Sacred Heart Altar and the stained glass windows on the north side were donated.

1915
The choir stalls were put in place during October.

1916
The choir screens were put in during May.


The west front of St. Mary's
The west front of St. Mary's

 
 
 
 1919
The organ was removed from the top of the south aisle and replaced with St Anne's altar.
 
1920
The new organ was installed in the Choir Loft.
 
1937
The Church Tower was opened on 11th April.

1941
An air raid destroyed the sacristies and the roof of St. Anne's Chapel in January.

1951
The south side roof was raised to enable six windows to be inserted.
St. Anne's Chapel was restored and the Sacristies re-built.
 
 
 
 
 

Looking towards the Altar
Looking towards the Altar






1952
The Church was completely cleaned and repainted, the High Altar, reredos and statues were picked out in colour,
the lighting system re-wired and amplifiers installed.
The church re-opened on Sunday 29th October.

1953
The bell was taken down, recast and considerably enlarged.

1962
The Church was repainted.

1974
The Church was re-ordered by the Architect George Pace. The Blessed Sacrament was removed from the High Altar to the newly renovated St. Ann's Chapel. The St. Ann and child Mary statue was painted in gold to convey the impression that St. Ann was Mary and the child was Jesus. The Crucifix in this chapel was designed by George Pace. The font was removed altogether and Our Lady of Lourdes was put in the Baptistery now grotto. New pendant lights were designed which left the church very dark, these were removed in 1996. The church was completely redecorated and all the fractured gold was painted on the reredos.





 

Renovated Stained Glass Windows
Renovated Stained Glass Windows

1992
The sacristy and confessionals concrete roofs were covered with felt.
The roof on the south side was renewed.

1994
A number of stained glass windows on the south side were renewed.

1996
The front external of the Church was cleaned and the lights in the Church were replaced.


2000
The interior of the Church was re-ordered to comply with the current Liturgical Laws.



2002/3
The exterior of the Church was completely renovated.

StMarysHistory1
Click for Full Size

StMarysHistory2
Click for Full Size

StMarysHistory6
Click for Full Size

StMarysHistory8
Click for Full Size


StMarysHistory7
Click for Full Size

StMarysHistory3
Click for Full Size

StMarysHistory4
Click for Full Size

StMarysHistory5
Click for Full Size